Now that you have decided that palliative care is, in fact, the right course of treatment for you, you have to find a palliative care provider that meets your needs. Of course you can do the standard online search and choose a care provider from that list at random. Unfortunately, the chances of you ending up with a less-than-ideal palliative care team are high.
Alternatively, you can take control of the palliative care you choose by being prepared. This three step guide assembled by a trustworthy Las Vegas hospice service will help you to choose a palliative care resource that will serve you best.
Talk to Your Doctor
Before you do anything, you want to talk with your doctor about the benefits and disadvantages of palliative care. When you have this conversation, be sure to ask your doctor these points:
- Have your doctor fully explain your condition. Ask if there are any treatments, clinical trials or experimental treatments that may help with the management of your symptoms.
- Ask your doctor to provide you with a list of resources for palliative care.
- Explain exactly what you are looking for when you consider palliative care. If your focus is comfort and maintenance, mention that. If your focus is to undergo aggressive curative treatments to prolong your life as much as possible, mention that.
Find a Service
The next step is to choose a palliative care service Las Vegas patients rely on.
The best way to go about choosing your palliative care team is to pool your resources. Hopefully, your doctor gave you a list of resources. That is a great place to start.
You also want to ask around. There is a good chance that a friend, a loved one or a community social worker knows of an exceptional palliative care service that your doctor may not be aware of.
It is also not a bad idea to conduct your own online search to read patient reviews. No one knows how a palliative care center treats its patients better than the patients.
Interview Your Selections
Once you have narrowed your list down to a few palliative care providers, be careful not to jump the gun. Take the time to interview your options to be sure that you really are choosing the palliative care teams that is congruent with your desires and expectations. Here are a few questions you can use to prepare yourself for those interviews:
- Where will I be cared for?
- Who is going to be a part of my care team? What will each of them do?
- What happens if I experience severely distressing symptoms?
- Do you offer any support for my family and other caregivers?
- Will you keep working with my doctors?
- Do you have any recommendations for the direction of my care?
At the end of the day, your best chance for ideal palliative care lies in the hospice care Las Vegas residents trust. Make ProCare Hospice of Nevada your first stop to learn about the hospice services and genuine care that are offered here. For more information about Las Vegas hospice services, contact 702.380.8300.